Monday, August 12, 2019

By the numbers



Not that you could guess our PIN or screen unlock codes or anything, but 8-8-60 is nonetheless important in our family. It's so easy it leaves me no excuse to remember to celebrate Eva Jean's arrival on this planet. If you didn't notice, it happened this week.

A strong young couple in our branch, Czarek & Lizzie, and our Gdańsk Sisters surprised her as we arrived at the chapel before English class with a beautiful cake and decorated cookies and singing. The birthday song says something like 
"100 years, 100 years, may she live for us 100 years"


For our zone conference this week we drove to the city of Poznań which has one of the most picturesque market squares. We got to spend the evening prior with the Womacks (Vancouver, WA) who serve there and also have the assignment, like us, to help with YSA in Poland. They're a lot of fun and it's always cheering to commiserate share uplifting stories together.
Painfully, Elder W had to get his knee fixed recently. Thus he can't wear a tie. 


I think we did a 1000 piece puzzle of this once.
It's so pleasant to eat outside in a place like this.
(I have to add that our steaks and ribs and desserts and tip came to $48! For two!!
[Did I say before I LOVE Poland?]) 


Because we took our car to Poznań we drove our 3 Gdańsk Elders home instead of their riding the train. Though the company during the ride was superb, those three were pretty miserable for 3.5 of the 4 hours. I pushed our little car as much as I could to spare them unnecessary misery. After eyeballing the "kilometers to empty" for the final hour and dropping them off at their apartment, we coasted into the gas station Saturday night, feeling relieved and blessed that I didn't have to make Jean push.

Note the number at top center. 1 km to spare.



A kind man attends almost every sacrament service on Sundays. He's always pleasant and has been coming for years. His WofW challenges make him very frail, but he says it's too late for him to quit. He struggles to get by but every week he brings us a little bag of Polish apples. Yesterday before the meeting he pulled out a 20 (equal to $5). He said "I want this to give for poor." I said, "I know what to do with that." He said again, "For the poor." I told him I understood and put it in my pocket.

As mentioned before, on Sundays we help serve soup to the homeless with a lady (Ola) and her friend (Jurek) who have organized and done this beautiful service for over three years. They also have medical volunteers there to help with the folks' ailments. After things got going yesterday, I felt the 20 in my pocket and had a feeling to give it to Jurek, telling him how I had obtained it from an unexpected donor. 
He said, "The medical staff just now asked me to buy some supplies. It cost exactly 20." 

Image may contain: 10 people, people standing, crowd, child and outdoor


1 comment:

Briant and Becky Buckwalter said...

Happy Birthday Jean!! 🎂🎈🎶🎉🎁♥️🧁🌺
Love your posts you two!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.